Friday, January 11, 2013

The Promise-Keeping; Grace-Extending God

Genesis 18.  Verse 14, "Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son."

God is the promise-keeping God.  Nothing is too hard for Him to do.  He is able to fulfill what He has promised.  I love how God did the impossible for Abraham and Sarah.  This was not humanly possible.  But the divine God intervened.

The next part of the chapter talks about God's plan to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because of the wickedness of the people in the city.  I like what verse 17 says, "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing?"  God is not only Abraham's authority, He is Abraham's friend so he confides in Abraham.  God knows he can trust Abraham.

I think God purposefully tells Abraham what He plans to do because He longs for Abraham to plead with God for the people of the city.  And Abraham does so.  In a very respectful way.  And this gives God the opportunity to further display and prove His character to Abraham.  Verse 32-- " . . .And He said, 'I will not destroy it for the sake of ten.'"

God's desire, His character, His nature is to extend mercy, to forgive,and to show compassion.