Saturday, January 12, 2013

At the Set Time

Genesis 21.  "For Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him." (Genesis 21:2)  As Abraham and Sarah's walk of faith continued with God, they saw God's promise fulfilled in the birth of Isaac.  It was "at the set time".  It was God's time.  Not Abraham and Sarah's time. 

I have always loved Psalm 31:14-15a--"But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in Your hand . . ." 

I think for Abraham and Sarah and in my life, it is easier to trust God after I've seen Him work so many times before in my life and fulfill His promises to me.  I think it was easier for Abraham to circumcise his son Isaac "as God had command him." (vs. 4) because Abraham had seen God be so faithful to him over the years. 

The next part of this chapter deals with Ishmael (Abraham's son by Hagar).  God told Abraham to listen to Sarah's voice (vs. 12) and send Hagar and Ishmael away.  How hard this must have been for Abraham.  Yet, this was God's plan for him.  And Abraham had to trust that God would care and provide for Hagar and Ishmael since God had taken that role away from Abraham.  Abraham's role would be to be dad to his son of promise, Isaac.

I am not sure what happens later in Ishmael's life, but in Genesis 21:20 the Bible states, "So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer."

At the end of chapter 21, Abraham makes a covenant with Abimelech.  I'm not sure what all that is about.  I did look up what Matthew Henry's commentary had to say:  "Abimelech felt sure that the promises of God would be fulfilled to Abraham. It is wise to connect ourselves with those who are blessed of God; and we ought to requite kindness to those who have been kind to us."

Are you questioning the times of your life today?  If so, take heart in God being the promise-fulfilling God even when it appears impossible.  Affirm your trust in Him and say to Him, "You are my God.  My times are in Your hand."