Monday, January 14, 2013

A Love Story

I love this chapter!  Genesis 24.  The story of Abraham  sending his servant back to his home country to his father's house to get a wife for his beloved son Isaac.

Dr. Adrian Rogers taught that this is a picture of the Holy Spirit (the servant) relaying to the bride of Christ, the church (Rebekah) the awesomeness of the the groom, Jesus Christ (Isaac) and His father God, (Abraham).

What a princess story!  The servant goes to find the bride.  He prays that the girl who gives him a drink of water and offers to get water for his camels as well will be the one that is to be Isaac's bride.  Even before he finishes this prayer in his heart, Rebekah shows up. 

I love how Abraham stands firm in his belief that he is not to send Isaac back to his homeland.  That instead, God has promised to give him the land of Canaan.  Abraham tells the servant in verse 8 that "if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be released from this oath; only do not take my son back there."

I love how after the servant realized that Rebekah was the chosen one that he "bowed down his head and worshiped the Lord" (verse 26). 

I love how Rebekah then "ran and told her mother's household these things" (verse 28).

I love how the servant replays the story to the family (verses 34-48). 

Look closely at the middle of verse 48--the servant says he "blessed the Lord God of my master Abraham, who had led me in the way of truth . . ."  Isn't that true of the Lord our God?  He leads us in the way of truth!  Psalm 43:3, "Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your tabernacle."

I love Laban and Bethuel's response in verses 50 & 51, "The thing comes from the Lord; we cannot speak to you either bad or good. Here is Rebekah before you; take her and go, and let her be your master's son's wife, as the Lord has spoken."

I love Rebekah's willingness to immediately leave all her family to go with the servant to meet Isaac. 

I love how Isaac was meditating in the field in the evening (verse 63) when Rebekah arrived. 

I love how Isaac loved Rebekah (verse 67) and how Rebekah's love brought Isaac comfort after his mother's death (verse 67).