Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Good is Not Good When God Has Said "No"

Today's Bible reading is Genesis chapter 3.

"For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate.  She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate." Genesis 3:5-6

So much stood out to me in these two verses.  This passage is so applicable in every day world situations.  I see things in the world that to me are good, pleasant, and desirable.  The only problem with these "things" is that God has said "No" to these things.  God's wisdom versus man wisdom.  It may not make ANY sense at all to me why God would say no to the things that to me look good, pleasant, and desirable.

The question then comes down to--will I obey what God has told me to do? (God's wisdom). Or, will I think that perhaps God is wrong this time and this good, pleasant, desirable thing is going to be good for me despite what God has said. (Man's wisdom).

That's what Eve did, "she took of its fruit and ate."

You know what else she did? She gave it to someone else (her husband) and he ate.  When I choose not to obey God, I often encourage others not to obey God either.

Also today from the Adrian Rogers Legacy Bible, "Don't put a question mark where God has put a period."  That's how Eve started to get off track.  She was listening to Satan in Genesis 3, verse 1 where Satan (the serpent) asks her, "Has God indeed said, 'You shall not eat of every tree of the garden?'"

My prayer for you my friend, is the same as it is for me--God, don't let me question clear commands that You have given me in Your word.  Help me to obey You even when other things look good, pleasant, and more desirable to me than doing what You say.  Forgive me when I put a question mark where You have clearly put a period.  Amen.