Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Lord Shall Be My God

Genesis 28.  The story of Jacob's dream of the ladder reaching to Heaven.

I think it is neat that Isaac charged Jacob to not find a wife in Canaan, but to go back to Abraham's homeland and find a wife from Laban's family (this would have been Isaac's uncle on his mom's side, Rebekah's brother).  Isaac must have loved his wife Rebekah and thought so highly of her if he chose for his son to also marry from Abraham's homeland.  Remember, Isaac did not go and pick Rebekah out.  Abraham's servant found Rebekah in a venture that was divinely appointed.  Prayer played a great part.  (See Genesis 28:1-5).

Esau gets jealous.  He must have already been married to some "daughters of Canaan" (vs. 8).  Because he found out this did not please Isaac, he took yet another wife from Abraham's family line.

Next up in the chapter is Jacob sleeping using a rock for a pillow and having a dream of a ladder that reaches to Heaven and the angels of God ascending and descending on it (vs 12).  In this dream, God speaks to Jacob of continuing the covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and now through Jacob.  Jacob awakes from the dream and realizes he has been in the presence of the Lord (vs. 16).

Then Jacob makes a vow with God (vs. 20-21).  He also takes the rock he used for a pillow and set it up as a pillar, he anointed the rock with oil, and he changed the name of the city from Luz to Bethel (meaning House of God).

In verse 22, Jacob tells the Lord that of all God gives him, he will "surely give a tenth to You."

I don't have a lot of specifics to point out on today's chapter.  This seems to be when Jacob solidifies his faith and trust in his father's (Isaac) and his grandfather's (Abraham) God.

Genesis 28:15-"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you."

Genesis 28:20-21"Then Jacob made a vow, saying, 'If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, so that I come back to my father's house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God."

Have you made sure that the Lord is your God?